Thursday, January 10, 2013

Newspaper Article

Today my DRAW-NH! project and my blog too are featured in a full page spread in the New Hampshire Union Leader newspaper.  Thanks very much to the writer Melanie Plenda for her interest in my art.

Update, January 13
It’s beginning to look as if the article isn't going to appear on the Union Leader’s website.  So I’ve posted a scan at this location. Having started out from a newspaper it is kind of fuzzy, but I think it will still be legible enough to read.

Continuing
One of my drawings, New London’s Tracy Memorial Library, was included in the article. I have now been to all 234 of New Hampshire’s towns and cities and drawn an image in each.  But we have only had the time and opportunity to post about two thirds of them online.  The next 80 or so towns will appear in monthly installments over the next year.

When I am finished with a drawing, I store it in a box.  Each month I pull out ten or so drawings from New Hampshire, and elsewhere in the world, that seem to me to tell a story.  I look for a narrative that links images.  This month’s blog, as yet unfinished, has a theme of winter.  And the feelings of openness of the landscape as well as the desire for shelter.

Below are images of the towns of Monroe and Lyman, NH.  I spoke of them in the article.  Since neither of them had been on the blog as yet, I thought I should post them today.  I wouldn’t want to disappoint a reader.



Summer sunshine, a quiet triangular town green, and lush foliage.  These memories return to me when I remember my sketching time in Monroe, NH.  The library is in an old dignified home.  The library sign out front is much more charming than I’ve shown here.  It has two profiles of little children reading. They just didn’t fit into my small scale drawing. 

Monroe is on the Connecticut River, bordering Vermont. It was originally, in 1762, a part of Lyman. 



Despite or because of our atlas, we decided to take a short cut to the next town of Lyman.  For a very few extra miles, we could have stayed on the highway.  But we choose to take the direct route over the hills (or are they mountains?).  

I can’t say how long a road it was, or how many miles we saved.The very deep ruts were caused by water runoff over the decades. The glacial boulders remained in place.  I do clearly remember my husband saying that my screams were distracting him.  So I shut my eyes as we bumped and lurched along the logging road, screaming inwardly.  That took all my concentration.  I do believe that there is a cautionary sign at the start of the passage proclaiming it to be an ‘unmaintained road’. A warning to the wise is sufficient, they say.  

Well, clearly we made it.  I was sooo happy, giddy maybe, to reach the other side.  To see the town line sign of Lyman.  This is why the people of Monroe decided in 1854 to break away from Lyman and form their own town.  I am fond of curves in a road, barns, and blue mountains.  I yelled ‘stop’ when we topped this hill.  I intentionally made the drawing’s lines and colors extra lively and joyful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment