Friday, February 14, 2020

California and New Hampshire


The view from our Los Angeles airbnb shows the fascinating mix of Art Deco from the 20s and 30s, and the new financial district starting in the 90s. We took a little break from NH snow with our quick trip to California to visit our older daughter and her husband. The peaked roof new building caught the morning sun so beautifully. The shadows kept shifting as I drew.

This sketchbook is 3.5" x 5.5". It is the easiest size to carry around on a day to day basis. I am quite amazed how much information fits onto a small page.


I love the trees in downtown Los Angeles, DTLA. Such smooth grey bark on their trunks and limbs.

The building on the right, another Art Deco delight, is where our daughter and husband live. On the tenth floor, near the palm trees.


We sat in the sun for a while next to the large tropical plant. Others had the same idea. 

Our daughter and hubby have two pugs. I sketch one at every visit. 


I also tried my hand at drawing another dog, Batman. 

Every day we ate breakfast in a very authentic French bakery. We sat at the scrubbed pine family table. See how the cups have no handles? That is a French style breakfast cup, usually only used at home. It keeps your hands warm.


Los Angeles has more museums than any other American city. On our first day we headed up the hills to the Getty Museum to view a show featuring paintings of French artist Edouard Manet. The museum is huge with several buildings and extensive gardens. Free admission! Just pay for parking.

The temperature was just right for lingering. I draw what interests me, especially if I have never seen it before. In this case, I admired the grand effect of the re-bar tree-like structures. Inside are planted bougainvillea bushes which grow right out of the top.


It was another breakfast at the cafe. I remembered to draw my beautiful mixed fruit tart at about the halfway mark. 

The drawing on the right was the view from our lunch at the Blossom Restaurant in Chinatown/Los Angeles.


The new financial district has very tall, very modern buildings,all different one from the other. I sat poolside on the tenth floor of our daughter’s apartment building for this view. I enjoyed watching the shadows move across the colored glass structures.


Back in New Hampshire, my eye was searching for color. In February, flowers are the easiest way to do that.


Last week, on a very windy and snowy night, our little town had an annual gathering, Dinner With Jack Frost, in the town hall.  Several restaurants donate food. And we buy tickets as it is a fund raiser. The decisions are tough: there are far too many offerings to try all of them.

A couple of days later, I sketched the spaces between some white and some pink flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment